Rate This Recipe
Lemon meringue pie is a custard pie which is topped with a frothy layer of meringue. The recipe shows up in many regions throughout the world, and when well made, a lemon meringue pie showcases the tangy, intense flavour of lemons, balancing it out with naturally sweet and fluffy meringue and crisp sweet pastry. Preparation, cooking and chilling time will depend on how many aspects are made in advance. Refer to each individual recipe component for exact times.
- 1 x 22cm Pie Crust or Pastry Case made from Short Crust Pastry or Biscuit or Champagne Pastry
- 1 qty Lemon Butter
- 1 qty Basic Meringue or 1 qty Pie Meringue
- Pre-heat the oven.
- Blind bake the pastry case.
- Remove and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes, remove the pie weights and reduce the oven to 150°C.
- Spread the lemon curd in the slightly cooled pastry case.
- Make the meringue then spread it on top of the curd and pastry right to the very edge of the pastry rim with a knife, so that it seals the edge completely. (With the knife also make a few decorative swirls.)
- Cook in the oven on the centre shelf for 45 minutes, by which time the meringue will have turned pale beige, and be crisp on the outside and mashmallowy on the inside.
- Serve warm or cold, but if warm, leave it to settle for about 20 minutes.
- Chilled pouring cream is a nice accompaniment.