Rate This Recipe
Gracie, my dog with the pancreatitis, needs a high carb, low protein and low fat diet and preferably cooked food rather than raw. So I've been experimenting with recipes for her. She also doesn't particularly like the diet canned food the vet prescribed, nor the dry kibble biscuits low in fat (typical) so I've had to come up with ways to disguise this food, along with vegetables and cooked rice, so she eats it.
Some of the information I downloaded off the web had some ideas, but I like to develop my own versions of recipes so here's one I came up with for Gracie incorporating everything she needs to eat, without her knowing she's eating it.
- 1 cup pulverised dog biscuits (whatever your dog normally eats)
- 1 cup chicken giblets
- ½ cup lean chicken mince
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup mixed diced vegetables
- 2 eggs
- Place the biscuits in the food processor and process till they're broken down to look like commercial breadcrumbs.
- Add giblets and process till minced.
- Add the chicken mince process till combined.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process till combined.
- Then add the eggs one at a time while the processor is running and process till all the ingredients are well combined.
- Place the mixture into a meat load pan and bake in a 175°C oven for 1 hour.
- Allow to cool before giving to your dog. How much you give them will depend on the size of the dog.
- I mix mine with a little of the canned food from the vet and she can't distinguish between the two.