- 250g plain pastry flour (or ordinary plain flour if you can"t get pastry flour)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar (for a sweet pastry)
- 60g unsalted butter, chilled and finely chopped or grated
- 2 Tbsp water, chilled
- Preheat the oven.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse to combine. (If you do not have a food processor, sift the ingredients into a mixing bowl.) While the processor motor is running, add the butter cubes one by one until the mixture resembles coarse meal. (Or rub the butter in with the fingertips or with a pastry blender). Add water gradually, making the mixture into a very dry dough.
- Do not add all the water unless necessary.
- Wrap the pastry in cling wrap and rest it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before rolling.
- Turn the chilled pastry dough onto a floured board and roll out lightly to desired shape for the recipe you're making.
- Blind bake if necessary.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes.
The multimedia content on Victoria Hansen Food is reserved for subscribing members. You can have access FREE by subscribing to the site. Simple fill in the form tot eh right to gain INSTANT access to all media content, sitewide.
PLEASE NOTE: You will be added to our mail list when you fill in this form. If you unsubscribe from the mail list, you also unsubscribe from the site and will no longer be able to login or have access to the media content.