Mornay sauces are a great filling for crepes, vol-au-vents and crustades. Just add the variation ingredients to the basic cheese bechamel sauce and either freeze to be used at a later date, or store in the fridge until required. They’ll keep in the fridge for 3-5 days and in the freezer between 2-3 months. They are best reheated either before placing in the holding vessel or after and heated in the oven. Try some of these variations below - Chicken & Mushroom Mornay Sauce, Ham & Cheese Mornay Sauce, Tuna & Mushroom Mornay Sauce, Sweet Corn Mornay Sauce and Prosciutto & Parmesan Mornay Sauce.
Cook | Chill | Freeze
- 1 qty thick or masking Bechamel Sauce (cheese variation)
- 1 cup variation ingredients (see below)
- Make the bechamel sauce.
- Fold the variation ingredients through the sauce (precook the ingredients first if it indicates so).
- Serve as required.
- This is Notes
Adapted from N/A
Adapted from N/A
Victoria Hansen Food http://www.victoriahansenfood.com/
- Chicken and Mushroom – 1 small onion,finely chopped; 1 clove garlic,finely diced; ½ cup shredded cooked chicken plus ½ cup button or mixed mushrooms, drained. Saute the onions, garlic and mushrooms in a little oil, then add the chicken before adding the bechamel.
- Ham and Cheese – add ¾ cup chopped ham plus¼ cup grated parmesan cheese to the bechamel sauce before placing in the vessel and heating.
- Tuna and Mushroom – 1 small onion, finely chopped; 1 clove garlic,finely diced; ½ cup drained canned tuna plus ½ cup button or mixed mushrooms. Saute the onions, garlic and mushrooms in a little oil, then add the tuna before adding the bechamel.
- Sweet Corn – 1 cup canned cream corn. Spoon the cream corn directly into the vessel before heating in the oven so the corn will heat through at the same time.
- Prosciutto and Parmesan – ¾ cup crumbled crispy roasted prosciutto plus ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese. Cook the posciutto before adding to the bechamel, then stir through the parmesan.
- Fish – 1 cup flaked cooked firm white fish plus¼ cup grated parmesan cheese to the bechamel sauce.